Saturday, March 12, 2011

You Must Die! I Alone am Best!

 There is simply nothing better than knowing I have completely destroyed someone else at a competive game. League of Legends, Team Fortress 2 or Quake Live, it really does not matter what game it is as long as I am completely and utterly dominating all the other players.  I liken it to high level chess or Igo players who get a rush from beating an equally skilled opponent, neither they nor myself wishes any real harm to the other players, we simply want to use our reasoning and wits to beat the other guy.

This part of the blog post is supposed to have some really classy stuff about how gamers and everyone else are really looking for the same thing, confidence and reassurance that they are good at something. But you know what. It's not classy. It wont install a sense of self worth in anyone. What this paragraph is really going to do is convince anyone who reads this blog to understand one thing. Gamers want to win. You want to win when you buy a lottery ticket right? Well I want to win when I connect to a server. And not only do we want to win, we want to be the biggest and most winneryest person ever in the history of winningdom.

Maybe it is vanity, maybe it is wrong. But winning is about expressing my desire to better myself. It took many years for me to get exceptionally good at the Quake series. Hours and hours practicing my aim, learning the intricacies of the game's engine and setting up a completely customized configuration that fit my personal play style perfectly.  During all this time I was working towards one goal, becoming the best Quake player I could.

Sure. I could go on at length about gaming giving people better reaction times (Shooters) better money management (RTS) better social interactions (MMO's) but ya know what? If you are over the age of 18 and not a gamer, chances are you will never be one. So to you I urge you to do one thing. Stop playing Farmville, Cityville or any other "ville" game on Facebook for just one month. During that time pick one of the free "Big Boy" games and give it a try. I will list a few and have some links at the end of this post for you.

Before you join a game full of other people there is a quote I want you to read, this was from a great billiards player about being the best at playing pool. "You have to be willing to spot your grandmother 49 points in a game to 50, THEN be willing to beat her." Understand that? If you are playing an online game against other people you need the mentality that YOU are #1 and no matter who or what is standing in front of you, you will win.


While an outsider would never understand my world I hope that one day everyone can feel the rush and excitement that comes with a well developed and properly executed StarCraft 2 build order, or getting a headshot from across the map in Call of Duty.

Free Shooter: Quake Live  Be warned, these guys mean serious business. Do not even bother creating an account unless you are willing to put in some serious time learning the game.

Free MOBA: League of Legends Not as much of a time sink as Quake Live, you can have fun playing and learning at the same time.

Free MMO: There are thousands... Google "Free MMO" and use one of the lists to pick. Each are different and set in different fantasy worlds, pick one that appeals to you and give it a try! Lord of the Rings Online is semi free and quite worth the download. Lord of the Rings

No comments:

Post a Comment